I cribbed this from Brian Keene’s essay How I Make a Living Writing Full Time. Just using it as a personal reminder to myself and anybody who thinks I’m joking with my constant “I need to write more” rhetoric.
To write full-time like me, you will need the following things:
1. A spouse or partner who is willing to continue working (if you do not have this, substitute a trust fund, wealthy benefactor, or windfall at Vegas).
2. Reliable health insurance.
3. The ability to work a minimum of five days a week, eight hours a day. (More will be helpful).
4. The clarity to separate art from profession and business from pleasure, because we are not having fun with a hobby—we are paying the fucking bills on time.
5. The ability to take honest criticism, because when you’re writing four books a year, not all of them are going to be your best work.
Now, please continue your Wednesday.